Sunday, June 22, 2008

ginger ale and sesame noodles

That's as much as I could stomach on yesterday's ride through what felt like sauna temperatures. The ride wasn't very long but the heat made it incredibly difficult. Jerry and I stopped several times--not necessarily because we were tired, but to cool off in the shade. I went through two camelbaks of water, highly unusual for me.

I woke up not feeling that great. I had been out to dinner the night before, and I think the tiny bit of crab dip I had upset my stomach. Between the heat and the upset stomach, I did not sleep well, but I was so anxious to ride after not having been on the tandem since the end of AIDS Lifecycle.

We had signed up for the monthly Positive Pedalers ride and I was anxious to get back in the saddle, and to also see my friends. We met up at Mike's Bikes in Sausalito. The lot was crowded. There was a Leukemia Society Team in Training ride that day, and one of their staff approached us. We let her know we did the AIDS ride and she said something like, well, when you finish that join Team in Training. I retorted that sure, as soon as there was a cure for AIDS we'd be there. That did bring laughter from my fellow ALC'ers.

We headed out with me not feeling up to par, but glad to be pedaling. In Fairfax I got a ginger ale which went a long way to settling my stomach.

On White's Hill, we stopped once or twice to cool down a bit, then headed to Woodacre. Another ginger ale made me feel almost normal.

The ride back to Mike's is far easier hill-wise, but head and I do not agree in a big way. I was happy to get back to the car and air conditioning.

While I'm not sorry we did the ride, my hope is that will be the last one in such hot weather.

No comments: