Sunday, October 26, 2008

Heaven and Hell

Friday was hellish, so I was so happy to ride through Paradise on Saturday. Saturday was the ALC kickoff rides, and Jerry and I rode the Tiburon, also known as the Paridise, Loop. It was a perfect day for a ride-- sunny, cool with little wind.
We started at Sports Basement, where it was great to see some old friends before we set out. There were three rides scheduled, and we participated in the longest one-- around 40 miles.
Despite my urging (or at least suggesting) that Jerry eat a sausage before we set out, he didn't want to, and he felt his energy flagging on Camino Alto, Nonetheless, we rode up it at a decent pace, and, as usual, sailed down it, held up by cars that didn't want to go as fast as we did.
The loop was beautiful. Lots of bikes, some scaredy-cat cars that I had to wave around us, and lovely air and scenery.
Before we got to Shark's, our usual stopping place, we swung by the place whose name I can't recall to get me a cappuccino. I did remember to tell them no chocolate. Cup in hand, we rode down to Shark's. Jerry has a bowl of chili which lifted his spirits and energy considerably.
The ride back was lovely, and even Sausalito Hill didn't seem so bad.
There was lots of ooohing and aaahing over our new tandem. It really is a beauty. And it's lighter, handles better and is a pleasure to ride. There was one other tandem present. They were riding a bike I wasn't familiar with. They are going to train on the tandem, but the captain will ride ALC on a half-bike, and his stoker will be a roadie. Too bad. The more tandems the better!
Back home, we showered and readied ourselves to go to the movies to see W. We went with our friends Sha and Lora. The movie, of course, was partically fiction, but it captured what I think was W's motivation to do what he did. It did not portray him as evil, but as someone desperately trying to find his place in the world, and more important, to please his father. He failed miserably and pleasing his father, and I think the place he found in the world was not the one he wanted. He will be remembered as the worst president in modern history.
At the movies we had our usual dinner--popcorn and a diet soda.

This week I will be doing a lot of prep for Jerry's sister's wedding reception, which is next Saturday. I've got the menu all planned and have figured out the order of prep, pretty much. I will put in an order at the produce place and pick up the rest of what I need on Thursday and Friday. It's going to be a big job, but I think everyone will be pleased.

No comments: