Tuesday, October 26, 2010

And miles to go...

before I eat. Actually it's just too early for dinner, but that doesn't stop me from thinking about it.

Jerry and I just took an eeny weeny ride around the neighborhood on our singles. I'm slowly getting the seat to the proper height and every now and then even take a hand off the handlebars to signal. I'm getting there, slowly. But getting there. If the weather holds we'll take the singles to the bike path in Sausalito this weekend, and I will try at least a small hill.

Halloween is Sunday, and I'm looking forward to our cul de sac party. We sit outside with big bowls of candy and eat turkey chili that Vicki makes, cornbread that Joan makes, and drink wine that Rita brings. This year I made bat cookies for dessert.

I found a nice brown sugar cookie recipe on Epicurious. It had nutmeg in it, and I added a little cinnamon. I overdecorated the bats and they are hideously lovely. Lots of sprinkles and black and orange gel. I've never used this gel before and I sure as hell hope it firms up. I'd like to toss the cookies in the freezer so I don't eat them before Sunday.

Tonight we'll probably have beans and rice leftovers that I made in the slow cooker last evening. I sure do love my slow cooker. It's not like I'm making anything different; I just love not having to deal with things like stews and spaghetti sauce. No burning on the bottom: no trying to adjust the flame to low enough to not scorch whatever it is I'm cooking.

And I've already started planning Thanksgiving. For the first time, I may actually stuff the bird. or not. Decisions, decisions.

No comments: