Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sausalito, Salad and Resolutions

Jerry and I started out the new year with a short ride. We had not been on the tandem in weeks, so we thought we'd take it easy and not do too many miles. We have thought this in past weeks, but somehow managed not to suit up and hit the road.

Today was different. Neither of us had to talk the other into it, despite drinking wine and staying up past our bedtime last night. We celebrated the new year with our friends Sha and Lora. Sha makes delicious Persian food, and we have taken to celebrating "east coast" new year's with them. Although last night we were having such a good time talking we celebrated east and west coast: unusual for us. We had some really good red wines and the evening, which started at 6 pm, flew by.

Jerry and I did not leap out of bed this morning. We lolled for close to an hour, finally getting up around 9:30. After breakfast and reading part of the New York Times, we donned our Lycra and headed out.

While it was warmer at home, it still wasn't terribly cold and we started out with a tail wind, so we sped down the road. In Sausalito we stopped at a cafe for lunch.

I decided with the new year I was going to make one, and only one resolution: to eat better. Mark Bittman had an article recently about eating vegetarian, or even vegan, two out of three meals. I think this is a fine idea and while I won't commit to doing this every day, I am going to make an effort to do it more often.

Lunch today was a bagel, lox and cream cheese, so definitely not vegan or even vegetarian, but my peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat for breakfast was vegan, and since this is movie night, dinner will be popcorn. So two out of three: done.

Also at lunch we had a Mediterranean salad: full of artichokes, olives, delicious grape tomatoes and a few pieces of fresh mozzarella.

The other thing I plan to do, though I refuse to "resolve" to do it, is lose 10 to 15 pounds. I have really packed it on this fall, and am at the heaviest I have been in more than 10 years. I am going to go back to Weight Watchers this week.

I am also going to start getting a weekly veggie box from a farm in Petaluma. From week to week I won't know what will be in it, but I think that will keep my cooking creative and fresh. I look forward to finding and creating new recipes with the week's bounty.

While not wanting to wish my life away, I couldn't wait for 2011 to end. For both Jerry and me, it was not a great year. We are determined to make 2012 better, and we know that won't happen by itself. We will work to make our life more fun, more meaningful and more joyous.

No comments: