Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Peanut butter, Bananas and Tortillas

I have been ignoring this blog for far too long. I have been busy with Race Across America but that is now over, and I can get back to doing what I love to do. Riding and eating real food.

My week on RAAM was mostly peanut butter and a banana on a tortilla. The racers ate a variety of mostly boring but nutritionally dense food. Quinoa with vegetable soup and chicken made into a sort of stew. Nothing you'd eat at home, but they seemed to love it. Pasta with cream sauce was another biggie.

I felt that the prepared food was for the racers and didn't partake. Hence the bananas and peanut butter. In a nutshell, my diet was hideous and I gained weight.

So once my laundry is done and my life is a bit more normal, it's back to Weight Watchers. I had lost 10 pounds pre race. I think about three of those pounds are back. But I will eat well and healthfully and in time I'll take that weight off and maybe five pounds more.

That is not to say I didn't do a bit of high caloric celebrating when the race was over. Annapolis is my old stomping grounds and I was not going to let a little thing like weight control keep me from soft shell crabs and crabcakes. Yes, we have crabs here in Northern California but they are not the correct crab. I am a blue crab east coast crab girl.

I stayed with my friend Luisa and we went into Baltimore to my favorite restaurant, Woodberry Kitchen. She had never been there so it was a real treat for me to introduce her to the place.

As always, the food was perfect. We had a zucchini dip and braised snow peas and pea pods for appetizers. For entree Luisa had a cold plate with farro and vegetables. And yes, I had a soft shell crab.

I was going to order a glass of Peju Cabernet, but the waiter nudged me toward a Maryland Cabernet from Black Ankle Winery. I was not sorry. I can drink Peju here in NoCal.

And it would be a sin not to order dessert at Woodberry, so we got two and split them. One was a raw rhubarb tart with buttermilk cream and rhubarb sorbet. Stunning! I had never thought of using raw rhubarb and I'm going to have to give it a go. The other was a delicious sour cherry pie with cream ice cream. We had a pot of a mellow French press coffee (chocolate overtones-- the only way I have chocolate is in the overtones of coffee and red wine).

I managed to sneak in one more soft shell crab for lunch on my Monday traipsing around Annapolis. I stopped by the dock and saw two solo racers come in. Not much of a crowd on Monday so was glad to add a pair of clapping hands and a cheering voice.

Today will be laundry, refilling prescriptions and definitely some food shopping. Loads of fresh vegetables will be in the cart. Can't wait to start eating well again.

No comments: