Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fairfax and Glop

Jerry and I aren't really training for anything, but we know for our peace of mind and body, we need to ride. So on the weekends we are getting out the tandem and taking it for a spin.

Today we meandered along a bike and walking path and then hit the road to Fairfax. The path was pleasant, running alongside a creek. Mostly, we could get around the walkers and the slower bicyclists, although admittedly our speed was slower than usual. What bothered me more than slow walkers and cyclists was dogs off leash. Believe me, I love dogs. Love them. Want each and every dog in the whole wide world to have a home. But what I don't like is for dogs to be off leash while walking an on-leash path. It really is for everyone's safety. We weren't chased, but we did have to swerve to avoid a dog sniffing his way around the path; neither he nor his guardians were paying any attention to what was going on around them.

Once we hit the street it was better. We headed through the land of 1,000 stop signs until we got to Fairfax, where we had to dismount. Fairfax was holding what was I guess, an antique car show. We had to walk through, and there is little I like to look at less than old cars. I'm not all that wild about new ones either. But we made our way to Fairfix Cafe.

I'll start by saying I really like Fairfix Cafe. Their hummus is wonderful; I love their felafel and I've rarely had better tabouli. But today, I ordered the chicken gyro, figuring it would work well since I overindulged yesterday.

I was wrong. The bits of chicken-- I'm pretty sure it was chicken-- was drowned in what I presume is their version of tzatsiki. It pretty much tasted like nothing and there must have been two cups in there. It was like a really overmayonnaised chicken salad. I opened it up and picked out some of the tasteless chicken and wiped off the tomatoes and ate them. But it was horrible. Horrible. I'll stick to felafel from now on.

We finished and walked our way back through the cars to a spot where we could get back on the tandem. We ran into a fellow ALC'er who was out for a far more serious ride than ours. We say hello and then both took off.

We took a different route home, mostly staying off bike paths, which increased our speed and my enjoyment.

A shower and some relaxing, and we'll head out to a movie later. Last weekend we saw "Premium Rush," which starred actors playing bicycle messengers. It was a hoot. Very not real world, but with that many bicycles in it, how could it be bad?

No comments: