Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Where's the Handbasket?

Because the way the world is going, we are all surely going straight to hell. I know, this isn't about riding. We haven't ridden because Jerry is still fiddling with the front derailleur on the new tandem. But he promises this week it will be fixed.
So not riding has given me way too much time to read the newspaper and observe the world going straight into the toilet.
I can't help but blame all of the money that has been poured into Iraq and the Halliburtons of the world, and bonuses given to CEOs of failing companies.
And I've never been quite so worried about the upcoming federal election. I had been devoting energy to California's Prop 8, but I think the presidential election is far more critical, and far more frightening.
My fear is that if the McCain/Palin ticket wins, it will make the George W. Bush administration look like Halcyon days. I never seriously thought about leaving this country until now.
At the end of the month, Jerry and I are heading to East Texas to visit his mother, her husband, and a passel of cousins from Arkansas. In the past I have really held my tongue around his Republican relatives, but this time, I'm going to let all Hell break loose. This is way too important for them to continue to believe the lies this administration and Fox news are telling.
And now that we have a tandem that has couplers, we can take it apart and take it with us in the plane. Initially I thought we'd be too busy with relatives to ride, but now I think it's imperative to have that outlet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen. More power to you and to us all.