Monday, September 1, 2008

Can I park that for you, Maam?

Jerry and I were valet bike parkers at the Sausalito Art Festival today. For four and a half hours, we tagged, rolled and steered bikes into pvc-pipe bike holders. And I'm happy to say a lot of people rode bikes to the fair. Big bikes, small bikes, hybrids, mountain bikes bikes with trailers, rent-a-bikes. All shapes, sizes.
We did notice, unfortunately, that many, if not most, of the riders were not wearing helmets. I know, I know, just out for a short ride, but I'm living proof that a short ride is all it takes to get your head (or in my case, helmet) bashed in.

In any case, we did brisk business. Hundreds of people rode their bikes to the event, including us.
After our shift, we had lunch-- a very good chicken-veggie wrap-- and then strolled around the fair.
Perhaps I'm spoiled; perhaps I'm an art snob, but I was by and large not impressed with what I saw. I also didn't like the layout of the fair. It was hard to tell where you'd been and what you had yet to see.
So, we perused art for about an hour, decided we'd had enough and headed on home.

No comments: