Sunday, May 17, 2009

Carol and Jerry's Ride through Hell

I'm not sure I believe in heaven or hell, but if hell means a lot of heat, I don't want to go there.

Yesterday, we rode the Bride of Cat 2 ride to Petaluma. We started out early on a lovely, clear day. But somehow you know that if you don't need a jacket or arm warmers at 7 am, you've got some serious heat in store, particularly if you're riding to Petaluma.

The ride up had its moments, but generally it was okay, save the moment going over insanely bumpy roads on the way into Petaluma that jarred Jerry's mirror so badly it flew off.

But we got to the Apple Box for lunch. Then I waited. Seems they forgot my order, but once I reminded them, they got me my sandwich. In the heat, I couldn't eat a lot, so had half and a big lemonade.

Then-- cue ominous music-- the ride back. The climb out of Petaluma is long, but on a day with intense sunshine and heat, not only was it interminable, it was crazy-making.

Yes, I got a little wacky. Dehydration and body temperature climbing into the stratosphere did me in. It was hard to tell, really, if I was dehydrated, because I don't sweat. No, I'm not kidding. I don't sweat. Oh, maybe a little on the face, but heck, even my pits stay dry, and no I wasn't using anti-perspirant. Truly, I WANT to sweat. So my body was not relieving itself of the intense heat and I got to the point where we had to stop under every bit of shade.

But even the riders less than half my age were having to do the same thing, though perhaps not to the extent I had to. Jerry and I were both getting a little worried about me. I could barely stand and I was on the verge of chills. To make matters worse, I left one of my water bottles under one of those shady trees. I was just too out of it to remember to put it back in the cage, so our quickly diminishing supply of water diminished all the more quickly. And despite being short of water, Jerry liberally doused my head and back with what little he had left.

That helped enough for us to slowly crawl back to the Cheese Factory. On the road we had pretty well decided that we would figure out a way for him to get the car and come back and fetch me and the trike.

But then the miracle. Lots of water, shade and a rest saved me. Also knowing the worst was behind us got us back on the trike to finish the ride.

When we pulled into Fairfax there was much cheering from the riders who had done Marshall Wall. Duncan, a friend of ours who had done Marshall said he thought Petaluma, on a day like we were having, was worse than Marshall Wall. Silly me-- I thought I was picking the easier ride.

After a lemonade at the Fairfax Roastery, it was time to hit the final stretch. We pedaled slowly, but finally got back to the car and trailer. We loaded up the trike and headed home.

After stripping quickly I headed for a tepid shower. It was glorious. A small dinner of chicken Caesar salad with REAL, not low-fat, dressing, a little reading and then a fitful night of sleep in the heat.

We had ridden Thursday and Friday, building up our miles, and we really felt ready for a longer ride. But nothing could have made me ready for that heat. Sunday's ride was more difficult than anything we will face on the AIDS ride, which gives me a small modicum of comfort knowing I'm ready for almost anything.

No comments: