Sunday, May 24, 2009

Forever Young

I was riding down 101 yesterday, flipping stations on the radio. On came Rod Stewart singing "Forever Young," and I started to cry. Initially, I wasn't even sure why. I figured, I always get emotional right before the ride, so maybe that's it.

But then I thought about that song. I started thinking about the friends I have lost to AIDS. They will be forever young, because they were so young when they died. I thought of Jimmy, Andrew, Ricardo and too many others. I saw their handsome faces. I remembered them before they got sick. They will remain forever young.

The ride, though, for me, is not about who we've lost. It's about who we won't lose because of the funds we raise. It is a positive event-- full of hope, excitement and promise.

But every now and then, something triggers those old memories. They aren't bad, really. I don't ever want to forget those friends.

No comments: