Saturday, October 24, 2009

European Chamois Butter and Beer

I was getting low on Chamois Butter, so while at Sports Basement the other day I thought I'd pick some up. There was the usual tube, but then I saw a container with a screw top lid and it was Chamois Butter, but said it was European style. I wasn't sure what that meant, but I really liked the idea of using a jar rather than a tube. I have two partial tubes of Chamois Butter right now but it's so darned hard to get the last bits out, I thought I'd try something new.

And try I did. Today was the AIDS Lifecycle kick-off ride and I was actually trying lots of new things. Today would be my first ride on my new saddle-- a Selle An Atomica. I was trying new bottoms-- Sugoi knickers in this case that came highly recommended. I initially thought that I shouldn't try out the new knickers and saddle together. After all, if I felt great, how would I know which was working.

But have no fear, it didn't matter. Had I read the label, I would have discovered that "European Style" Chamois Butter has menthol in it. Yes, MENTHOL. The first little rub brought back memories of using Dr. Bronner's soap in the 70s. It might be good for a lot of things, but not on private parts.

The same can be said for this Chamois Butter. That "cooling sensation" made the lips of my vagina feel as if they were on fire. And of course, I had spread some on my chamois as well, so it wasn't coming off easily. I rubbed and wiped, but to no avail.

So I spent today's ride from the Presidio and around Tiburon Loop feeling as if someone had decided to build a campfire in my crotch. Delightful, eh?

But in reality, I think the saddle helped. Since there is a large cut-out right below my private parts, the pressure was less than it would have been so the pain could have been even worse. This new saddle looks a whole lot like an old Brooks saddle with a big old slot in it. No padding, but I don't really think padding helps that much.

For much of the ride I did manage to keep my mind off the pain and enjoy the pedaling and scenery. It was a lovely day for a ride and though Jerry and I had not ridden in a couple of weeks, once we got warmed up we enjoyed ourselves and pedaled somewhat effortlessly.

Back at Sports Basement, there was an array of junk food, soda and beer. I'm not a real big soda fan and while I drink maybe three beers a year, it seemed more appealing than a sweet Coke. I popped the top off of a Sierra Nevada and I admit, it tasted pretty good. I accompanied it with a couple pieces of cheese and way too many potato chips. My standard joke is that I ride for potato chips, and today, it seemed to be true. But after a couple of handfuls in combination with the beer I felt bloated and overfull. Not sure which was to blame-- the beer or the chips-- but I think I'll lay off both for a while.

I chatted with my friend Beau, who is co-president of the Positive Pedalers. This is their 15th year and my hope is to get some really great press for them because they deserve it. I can confidently say that the Pos Peds have saved lives. Being diagnosed HIV positive is not only a physical challenge, but it can be devastating emotionally. The support and encouragement these men and women give each other cannot be overestimated. While they may not have saved my life, they have changed it dramatically. More people need to hear their message of hope and confidence. I will do whatever I can to help them do that.

No comments: