Saturday, December 1, 2007

World AIDS Day

Today was World AIDS Day. A wonderful rider named Brian Hodes organized 27-mile-rides around the world to commemorate the 27 years of the pandemic. The rides all began at 8 a.m. This weekend, San Francisco decided to be especially cold, so Jerry and I bundled up as well as we could. We had red jackets and I wore red shorts, as red is THE color for AIDS awareness, and we showed up at Golden Gate Park along with close to 100 other riders. My dear friend Beau led a silent meditation to remember all of the friends and lovers we have lost to this hideous disease.

The pack of us rode out to Mill Valley with a stop at a little cafe there. Amazingly, despite having eaten next to nothing the day before on top of a blood donation, I did not want a thing. I forgot the golden rule of cycling-- eat before you're hungry, and I really bonked on the way back. But Jerry and I survived long enough to go to Theresa and Johnny's Comfort Food Cafe, one of our favorite places and a sponsor for our ride. I ate way too much and drank too much coffee.

This evening was yet more food at a birthday party for Jerry's sister. Really good pizza.

When we got home Jerry was still up for a little snack so he munched a piece of the peppermint bark I made Thursday. I'm allergic to chocolate, but I still got some pleasure listening to him crunch through it. It's the first time I made it. I didn't use a recipe but I figured how hard could it be. I melted some white chocolate and threw in some peppermint candies I had smashed up. Then I melted chocolate peppermint chips and swirled that on top. When it set up broke it up. It's beautiful and Jerry says it's really good. I'm going to make some more so I can give it as holiday gifts.

No comments: