Tuesday, January 8, 2008

No Need to Knead

I just baked my first loaf of no-knead bread, and much to my surprise, it came out really well. I couldn't resist slicing off an end to try it only minutes after it emerged from the oven.

The process is quite simple. A little yeast, flour, salt and water. It rises for 18 hours, then rises again for a couple more. It gets baked in a heavy pot. The pot I used was on the large side-- I didn't have the size the recipe called for-- so the bread is wider than it would be. But it's delicious.

And not at all part of what should be a healthy diet to lose weight. And if the rain keeps up the way it's been at it these last few days, I don't know when I'll be back on the bike to burn those bread calories. Jerry's out of town right now, so no tandem anyway, and I'm definitely not riding my single solo.

Speaking of riding my single solo-- I go to the neuro-ophthalmologist tomorrow. I no longer need the prism glasses. The double vision from the bike accident cleared up a couple of weeks ago, so no surgery. But I do need a check up to make sure there is no residual damage or blurriness. Compared to the way I was seeing, I feel as if my vision is perfect, but I'll leave that up to the expert.

No comments: