Saturday, January 26, 2008

Oh, the guilt!

It poured and poured yesterday, and the weather report called for the same today, so last night, I made a nice dinner and had two glasses of wine-- something I never do the day before I ride. And now, it's not raining. And I'm not riding.

Last night, we had a lovely roast chicken, roasted potatoes, broccoli and more no-knead bread. This time I replaced one cup of white flour with one cup of whole wheat, and I let it rise for 24 hours. I also baked it in a smaller pot, and it came out beautifully.

The bread advice came from David, who was my absolute best friend in Helena, MT. He lives in Manhattan now, with his partner, Paul. My friend Nancy and I had a wonderful dinner at their house Monday night. Paul is an editor at Gourmet, and needless to say, dinner at their house is always a treat. Good wine, good food, the best company. We had David's no-knead bread, along with lamb, lentils, and roasted root vegetables. Then, a salad with no knead bread crouton, and apple pie David baked. That, of course, along with champagne and two bottles of French red wine.

We're going to a party tonight, so probably more food and more wine. When will it end??? Never, I hope.

No comments: