Sunday, August 31, 2008

Slowly but Surely

Two rides on the half bike this weekend. I wish I had ridden closer to when I had taken the bike skills class. A lot of the fear was back, but I did ride. Jerry and I rode on the path out of Mike's Bikes in Sausalito. I was nervous, but I did it. I finally was comfortable enough to let go of one hand at a time. I did get spooked at the top of a hill, but I soldiered on.
I was absolutely fine until I decided to take one more little lap before putting the bike on the car. That's when it happened. I cut a turn too close, fell and managed to get my leg caught between the handlebars and the bike. I've got a bruise the size of a one and a half egg omelet and a few other scratches and bumps. But I got up and got back on the bike, and I rode it back to the car.

Today we rode through the neighborhood and it felt pretty good on the roads. We have a path that runs through the neighborhood and I did not like that as well. Too many walkers, kids on scooters and dogs. Strangely enough, I feel safer on the road with cars. I'm pretty sure they won't run into me if I stay close to the side of the road.

Tomorrow, we're volunteering to do Bike Valet Parking at the Sausalito Art Fair. We'll ride our new tandem, despite not having any rear brakes yet. It's a short ride and no hills, so we'll be fine.

1 comment:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

if you need a pep talk or someone to go out on the bike with, call me. I can help you, Carol!