Saturday, December 6, 2008

Cookies and Noodles

It was a brisk day for a ride, but the sky was clear so we bundled up and headed to Mike's Bikes in Sausalito, parked the car and joined an ALC ride as "renegades." We weren't at Sports Basement to listen to the safety speech, so we weren't official, but like good ALC'ers, we stopped at all the stop signs and signaled for turns.

Our first stop was at the Coffee Roastery in Fairfax, figuring we'd meet up with some of the official riders.After ordering coffee and hot chocolate I got Jerry and me a table, and three fellows in Trips for Kids kits sat down next to us. I made a comment about their outfits and we got to talking.

They are, indeed, Trips for Kids fans and volunteers. But one of the guys had an even more interesting back story. First, he works as a developer for Gilead, a large funder of ALC. What I didn't know is how Gilead has quite a different approach to drug production. They give quite a lot of medication away in developing countries.
The other thing this guy does is have a bakery that makes vegan, naturally sweetened delicious cookies. He gave us two different kinds-- one maple, and the other with tahini and coconut. Both delicious! When it gets closer to Jon Pon I'd like to see if I can strike up a deal with him.

We did meet up with most of the riders at the Roastery and then again at lunch in Woodacre. I had some good sesame noodles. I don't like to eat a whole lot when I ride because food doesn't always sit that well.

I also had a water bottle with Nuun in it. I really like these electrolyte tablets. Not overly sweet or heavily flavored. It's a pretty light electrolyte drink easy for me to get down.

We didn't ride that fast today, but we rode steadily and had a good time.

No comments: