Thursday, December 11, 2008

Toe Covers and Soup

Winter is finally here. This weekend promises a continued drop in temperature, and Sunday it calls for rain. I hate riding in the rain, particularly when it's coupled with a nasty wind chill, so we're planning on joining the Cyclists Reps (the artists formerly known as Cycle Buddies) for a ride in the East Bay on Saturday, and staying home to read the New York Times on Sunday.

I finally found a pair of toe covers that will go over my mountain bike shoes, so my hope is my toes won't turn into the blocks of ice they usually become when the temperature drops.

In addition to bringing out the toe covers and vests, the cold weather always inspires me to make soup. I made a really great one this week. I started with turkey stock and simmered it with canned tomatoes, garbanzos, black beans, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes and some broccoli. I seasoned it with thyme and bay leaf. I threw in some white wine, but it added an oddly bitter taste. Somehow, I think the combo of the thyme and white wine was not a winner. But I rescued it with some aged balsamic vinegar. I'm not talking about the stuff you get in a big bottle for a couple of bucks at Trader Joe's. This comes in a small bottle and is pricier, but in my experience, worth every penny. Aged balsamic vinegar is a wonder. It is syrupy and I think I'd really have to call it sweet. A little goes a long way, and just a dash in the soup turned it from a near disaster to a resounding success. Jerry threw some cooked sausage into his, but I ate it just the way it was. It went quite well with a hearty red wine and some good aged gouda.

No comments: