Monday, January 12, 2009

Lifecycle Kick off

Well, they've actually changed its name, but it will always be the Lifecycle kickoff to me. The San Francisco AIDS Foundation is adding more and more events for people to raise money. I suppose it's a good idea but I hope Lifecycle doesn't lose its identity. It is the biggest event and it pretty well dominated the day.
On the way in the door we ran into Stephan and Lilly. They own a trapeze studio in Oakland, and Lilly also works as a nurse at Children's Oakland. Stephan has been wanting to do the ride for ages, and he has signed up this year. I'm so thrilled for him. He will have the time of his life, as we all do.
The event was a lot of fun. Lots of friends to see. There are always a host of raffles at this event. One friend really needs a bike, so we pooled our raffle tickets to up his chances. Alas, he did not win. If wishes were horses... but someone is lending him a bike for the ride.
There was good food at the event. A number of restaurants donate food in hopes, I assume of attracting customers. A lot of the food had pork in it, but there were several really wonderful dishes. Delfina had fresh mozzarella with caponata and a couple other vegetable-laden sides. I sprinkled it with fleur du sel and fresh ground pepper. Delicious! Another restaurant-- I forget the name right now but I did snag a card-- had a delicious ceviche and some tuna carpaccio. Both were quite delicious.
When we got home, I was not particularly hungry, so I had a grapefruit. If only I'd gone upstairs as soon as I had finished it. Lurking in a big tin were the butterscotch blondies I had made. I think this will be the last treat I make without chocolate. It's way too tempting for me to have treats in the house. At least when I bake with chocolate, I can't eat it.

No comments: