Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sisterhood of the Traveling Lycra

When I was considering doing AIDS Lifecycle I emailed someone who worked at UCSF to ask her what she thought. I had never met Charlie. At the time she was an OR nurse and I had read an article on the UCSF website about her and some other UCSF riders. Charlie (or Charlene, as I knew her then) wrote back a wonderful email encouraging me to do the ride and told me I would have the time of my life.

I finally met Charlie and she gave me what were my first pair of bicycling shorts. I can't remember the details-- they didn't fit her, or they were extra, or something. But they were my very first pair of cycling shorts and I still wear them.

Charlie was in school to get her master's in nursing and she has not done the ride these past two years. But her shorts have.

On a training ride today we stopped at Shark's in Tiburon, and who should appear-- Charlie! She's finished her master's and is now the head of the Prepare Clinic at UCSF. And she's back to do the ride again. It was so great to see her.
we caught up on UCSF gossip, and more important, talked about riding. It was so wonderful to see her today, and I'm looking forward to more training rides with her.

Today was a very short ride, but considering we haven't ridden awhile, it was okay. As weeks go on, we'll add miles. Home now, I'm thinking about what I might have for lunch. Dinner will be popcorn at the movies, so I'm thinking I'll eat a fairly substantial lunch, though I won't go overboard. I'd like to lose a pound or two I gained in New York.

No comments: