Friday, January 2, 2009

Iranian East Coat New Year

As has become our tradition, Jerry and I celebrate New Years with our friends Sha and Lora. And has become our tradition, we celebrate "East Coast" New Year, so we can celebrate early.

Sha is a wonderful cook and I always look forward to dinner he's cooked. It is a Persian tradition to have fish to welcome the new year. Normally, it would be fried, but since we are all watching our weight and our arteries, we had grilled scallops, accompanied by roasted peppers and mushrooms, and the wonderful rice Sha makes. Jerry calls it "Sha Fried Rice." It is green, it's got baby lima beans in it, and it gets this wonderful crust on the bottom.

I made dessert. I made a pumpkin ginger cheesecake. I have made this before, but I used a new recipe. I'm famous for trying new recipes out at dinner parties. I'm either crazy or adventurous. This cheesecake had pieces of crystallized ginger in it. It didn't set up as well as come cheesecakes, but in any case it was a winner. The crust was gingersnaps, butter and pecans.

In the tradition of most Americans, I have gained weight over this holiday season. I blame it mostly on eating too much, followed by rain and Jerry's cold that has kept us off our tandem.

But here's hoping a new year full of healthy food, good cycling weather and love, fulfillment and steady work.

No comments: