Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My other ride It's gone

I really hate to drive. I try it avoid it at all costs. But of the two cars we own, I don't mind driving the Honda. It is a 1995 Civic, and it came to California with me from Baltimore. It's a five-speed, white, four door, with assorted dings and dents.

I had stopped driving the Honda a couple of years ago before my knee replacement. The pain in my left knee was so bad I could no longer depress the clutch, so we hustled out and got me a Toyota Corolla. I really hate that car. It gets lousy mileage, at least compared to the Honda, and it just doesn't feel like it has any character. It's not as comfortable as the Honda, and let's face it, I just do not like that car.

Whenever Jerry and I go anywhere, it's in the Honda. It's got the bike rack on it, it gets better mileage, and we both just like it better.

But now, it is no more. Yesterday, Jerry totaled it. Not exactly sure what happened, but he ran into another car. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt, though the woman in the other car is claiming neck and back pain. But we've got insurance to cover that, so no worries.

But damn, I will miss that car. Jerry is searching for a 2002 Civic. And I'm sure it will be a great car. But it just won't be the same.

Anyone who knows me at all knows I'm terribly homesick for the east coast. Well, at least for my friends who live back there. And that car was a tie to the east coast for me.

I know it's ridiculous to be so sad over a car. But damn, I miss that car.

No comments: