Friday, February 20, 2009

Not where I'd want to end up after a ride...

But so good to know it's there. Yesterday was the grand opening/ribbon cutting for the UCSF Orthopaedic Trauma Center at SF General. The event started with some speeches-- Bevan Dufty, Mitch Katz, proclamations from the Mayor and various and sundry elected officals. Gene O'Connell, head of SFGH emceed and gave remarks. She is one remarkable woman. Ted Miclau, who is chief of the center spoke. For I'm not sure how many years, he has poured his heart, soul and more hours than anyone can guess to make this center a reality. And, oh yeah, money as well. He and the other surgeons didn't take bonuses, some patient fees and who knows what else to fold back into the center.
And it's a beauty. State of the art labs, offices, libraries and the centerpiece-- the Surgical Training Facility. They had two demos going on there yesterday-- cadavers tastefully draped while Dr.Matityahu demonstrated the use of 3-d imaging and minimally invasive surgery to repair a hip. At the other station was the biomechanic lab's McGyver-like tools to test bone stress. Not everyone was enamored of the hand with the finger bending back and forth-- yes it was a real hand that once belonged to someone-- but I thought it was really cool.

I've been working with the center for the last couple of months to get them publicity in the press, and while I haven't been able to get them ink on one of their missions-- to bring basic trauma care to underdeveloped nations-- we did hit a home run on the opening. Three tv stations, a couple of newspapers, and the SF Chronicle is over there today to do a story on the Biomechanics Lab.

In simple terms, I love SF General. I've worked at a couple of hospitals and with more than my share of surgeons and physicians, but I have never met a group like the docs at the General. They are passionate, compassionate and play as a team. NO watching your back with these guys.

I hope the Bay Area knows what a gift they have in SF General. While I hope I never have to avail myself of their services, it really is comforting to know the kind of care I or any of my friends would get if they needed it.

No comments: