Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pre-season Potato Chips

Most people know the only reason I do AIDS Lifecycle is for the potato chips. And most people know I'm kidding.

But in reality, despite my love of French food and smelly cheese, it is almost impossible for me to pass up potato chips. But I know that if I ate them as often as I wanted, I'd need a forklift to get out of bed in the morning. So I save my potato chip eating for lunchtime during the ride.

Except for the last couple of weeks. It all started in Norway. My friend Arna introduced me to Norwegian potato chips, and though her potato chip obsession pales in comparison to mine, even she can't resist them. They truly were wonderful. Exceptionally crisp with just the right amount of salt, which is to say, a bit too much. We went through two bags while I was there, and it must have woken up my potato chip urge, because on my last two cycling rides, I succumbed.

This past weekend was another trip around Tiburon Loop, and as usual, we stopped at Shark's Deli. I'm usually not hungry after what is really not that long a ride, but this Saturday, I was. I'm not really enticed by most of what they have at the Deli, but there they were-- salt and pepper potato chips. I bought a small bag, and no, I did not share them. That and a Luna bar and I was ready for the rest of the ride back to the Presidio and the AIDS Lifecycle Expo.

The Expo is a yearly event with various bike stores selling their wares, Roadie training and a San Francisco AIDS Foundation and Positive Pedaler Booths.

At the Pos Ped Booth I saw my friends and met the newest member-- a young woman who is about to do her first ride. I'm looking forward to spending more time with her and hearing her story.

After a bit we headed north to get to Comfort Food Cafe before it closed. I had breakfast for lunch and lots of coffee.

This coming week we'll ride up to Point Reyes and stop at another Deli for lunch. Jerry and I will split a turkey sandwich and I will use as much willpower as I can muster to stay away from the potato chips.

Unless I'm really hungry.

No comments: