Monday, March 15, 2010

White's Hill and Truffle Salt

Yesterday, Jerry and I rode with the Sunday Cat 2 series to Lagunitas.
It was a gorgeous day, though it did start out chilly. My cap fit snugly over my newly shorn hair under my helmet, and it did much to keep me warm on that first mile out of Mike's Bikes in Sausalito, where we picked up the ride.

But what got me warm in a hurry was the ride up Camino Alto. I was actually looking forward to that climb to get the blood flowing. It worked. We climbed at our usually not-record-breaking speeds, but caught up with lots of folks on the descent. That is where tandems shine-- with all our weight we can take a downhill with the best of them. Jerry has been cautious of late on those downhills, but we still move pretty fast. Ever since his crash he's a tad more timid, but I do see the old confidence returning.

We stopped with everyone in Fairfax for snacks and picture-taking for an article about the Positive Pedalers, which will be published in April. It will be in a magazine about living with HIV -- HIV Plus Magazine. Looking forward to reading the article.

After the stop in Fairfax it was time to climb White's Hill, something we had not done in months. As usual, we weren't going to break any speed records, but considering we had not made the climb in a while we rode it well. Then the speedy downhill and cruise into Lagunitas.

In Lagunitas I once again turned into a huckster for our fundraiser, A Taste of Spring, which happens in Petaluma next Saturday evening. I think I convinced a few people to come, and I asked two other riders to volunteer for the event. They are both unemployed and knew they couldn't buy tickets, but I couldn't imagine the event without Gabo and Stephan, so they will come and volunteer and add to the event's success.

We didn't eat lunch in Lagunitas, decided we would hold off until after we got home, where we went to our usual spot-- Comfort Food Cafe. Leslie, the owner, had some perfectly ripe pears which she gave us to have for dessert, although we ate so much for lunch we decided to take them home to have later.

Because of the big lunch, I didn't really want a real dinner, so I decided popcorn was just the thing.

I love popcorn, but I love it even more with truffle salt. I sprinkled white truffle salt all over the popcorn and accompanied it with a glass of Malbec.

After the wine and the day's exercise, I managed to stay up until 10 pm, and then had one of the best night's of sleep I've had in a long time.

This week will be finishing up work on the fundraiser-- buying ingredients for the hors d'oeuvres, and working with friends who have graciously agreed to help me with prep. I know all the hard work will pay off in a lot of fun and funds raised for HIV and AIDS services.

No comments: