Sunday, February 10, 2008

Orzo and popcorn

Yesterday was just beautiful, so we joined the Positive Pedalers for a ride to the Woodacre Market. This ride took us over a couple of major hills, including the dreaded White's Hill. At the end of last year's training season, Jerry and I could take White's Hill in one fell swoop. This ride, we stopped twice. Part of it I blame on an insufficient breakfast for Jerry. He really needs a good boost of protein before we tackle a ride, and he just didn't have it in him yesterday. Not that I was doing such a hot job either. I can't blame mine on lack of protein; I blame it on lack of energy and strength. I've got to get back to Pilates!

Anyway, once we reached the market, I had a lovely orzo salad, full of olives, sundried tomatoes and feta. Jerry dove into a chicken and brie sandwich. The fueling helped immensely and the rest of the ride, including the much-easier return on White's Hill, and Camino Alto were pretty easy in comparison to the trip out.

Once home, we rested and prepared to go to a movie with our friends Sha and Laura. We saw Persepolis, and we all liked it a lot, though I was interested in hearing more from Sha about his thoughts, since he is Iranian. He didn't seem like he wanted to talk about it, so I didn't pursue it. After the movie dinner of popcorn, we headed for Caffe Trieste. I had a very nice glass of zinfandel, but I think the combo of the ride and the popcorn dinner, followed up by a pretty large glass of wine took it's toll. I'm feeling a bit dehydrated today.

No comments: