Sunday, August 17, 2008

I'm Single Again

Or at least I rode single today, and to my amazement and delight, it was wonderful. I took the VeloGirls Bike skills class to help me get over my fear of riding my single and it did that, and much more.
The class was pretty large, yet it felt like we all got great attention from the teachers, Sara and Lori. We got on, we got off, we rode, we braked, we slalomed, we had our butt places where no butt (at least on my bike) had gone before.

My single bike is a Bianchi Boardwalk-- kind of a hybrid-- flat bars but 27 gears and skinny tires, so in reality, not the most intimidating bike in the world. But it scared the hell out of me. I couldn't ride it out of my driveway. But today, I rode it around and around a parking lot, and down the road to another parking lot.

And now that I've got some confidence, Jerry and I will ride one afternoon or evening this week so I can keep my skills-- and my confidence-- up.

When I got home we went for a late celebration lunch at Comfort Food Cafe. While I didn't burn all the calories I ate, I felt somehow I had earned them.

1 comment:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Carol, I'm so, so happy to have been able to help you. Your story brings tears to my eyes. I can't wait to hear about your first ride this week!

Lorri