Friday, November 28, 2008

Cheaper turkey, better results

So this year, instead of a pricey Diestel turkey breast from Whole Paycheck, I decided to go with a whole bird from Trader Joe's. I tend to shy away from the whole bird, as it usually means dry breast meat waiting for the legs and thighs to get done. But by tenting, playing with the temperature and a lot of basting, everything came out beautifully, and I think the breast meat was actually more tender and flavorful this year.
I decided to get the bird done a little early, let it rest, carve it and then cover the meat on the serving platter and put it back in a warm oven. While we were having only two guests, I wanted to be able to sit and enjoy time with them, instead of being up to my armpits in mashed potatoes this year. I, in fact, got everything ready ahead of time and kept it all warm. And it worked beautifully. The only thing I didn't cook early was the stuffing, though I had it assembled and so all it had to do was bake.
The Brussels sprouts were an especially big hit, even for Nancy, who usually doesn't like them. I shredded them in the Cuisinart, and sauteed them with shallots and garlic in olive oil and butter. I toasted pignolis to mix in, and also squirted lemon juice on them. They were delicious.
I can't report on George's pie yet, because my heartburn was too intense to try it last night. But it is absolutely gorgeous and I will have a piece later today.
George and Nancy brought two bottles of Markham cabernet. I forgot how much I like Markham vineyards. The wine was delicious-- full bodied-- just the way I love cabernet. I've been into Malbecs and Zinfandels lately. Might be time to go back to finding some good Cabernets.
George and Nancy invited us on a tandem ride in Napa tomorrow, so we'll work off dinner then.

No comments: