Thursday, November 27, 2008

Eat Today. Ride later.

It's Thanksgiving and the cookathon will soon begin. Some years Jerry and I ride in the morning, but my heartburn is so bad (that's a long story in itself) I really don't feel like getting on the bike.
So instead, I'll cook. Our thanksgiving is woefully small this year. Only six of us, but I'll still cook as if the Russian Army were descending any minute.
This year, I bought a whole turkey instead of just a breast. My hope is, with the added fat of the legs, I'll get more drippings for gravy. I also plan on snipping off the wings at the first joint to make stock. The bird is a natural one, but a brand I haven't tried before. My guess is I won't be able to tell a whole hell of a lot of difference between this one and the gold-plated Diestels I usually buy at Whole Foods. Tough times call for desperate measures, and I'm trying to watch the budget.
The stuffing will be pretty basic, though I'm going to throw in some dried apricots, apples and walnuts. Still pretty basic, though.
I am bucking tradition on the Brussels sprouts. Instead of the usual boiling and rice vinegar, I'm shredding and sauteeing with garlic, shallots, olive oil and pignolis. Garlic mashed potatoes, as usual is on the menu, but I did do a variation of my usual cranberry sauce. It's still got ginger and oranges, but I also put in two diced pears and some dry mustard. I tasted it yesterday and the flavors have come together pretty well.
Dessert is courtesy of my friend George, who is making an apple pie. Since there are only six of us, I figured one dessert would do.
Appetizers are feta and sundried tomato dip with carrots, sesame crisps, parmesan puffs, and Cowgirl creamery cheese and crackers.
And good wine will round the whole thing out. And good coffee with dessert.
I am disappointed I won't be having more people, but the folks that will be here are good friends, so it will be a lovely evening.
And tomorrow, or the day after, we'll hop on the tandem.

No comments: