Sunday, November 16, 2008

"Relatively" flat ride?

Relative is an interesting word. Today's ride was described as "relatively flat." And I suppose compared to Quadbuster or the Evil Twins, it was. But it sure didn't seem flat to Jerry and me.
Yesterday we did a pleasant ride from Sports Basement to Mill Valley with the "Cyclist Representatives." That's the new name for what we've been calling Cycle Buddies. I have to tell you, I prefer the name Cycle Buddies. True it's not as professional, but it's so friendly and warm. The Cycle Buddies are nurturing supportive people. I'm not sure what Cyclist Representatives are. This is just one change that came this year. The web site has changed, and I gotta tell you, I don't like it. I don't know my cyclist number and I have a hard time finding my home page.
Generally, I am not one of those people who resists change. And there very well may be good reasons for the changes to the web site. But for the life of me, I don't know why the Cycle Buddies are no longer Cycle Buddies.
But back to riding. Yesterday's ride was just a little shorter than today's ride, but perhaps it was the popcorn we ate for dinner, or the fact we hadn't ridden in a couple of weeks or my colonoscopy on Friday, but today's ride was tough for Jerry and me. The climbs weren't long, but they seemed intense.
But we were riding with our friends. It was a Positive Peddler ride, and those are frequently my favorite because I get to ride with Bob and Beau and Wilfredo and some other friends. Though I was sorry Peter wasn't there today.
We rode from Sports Basement out to Lake Merced. And anyone would have to realize, we'd have to climb in and out of the city, but somehow I had blocked that out of my mind.
But we did it, and because the last part of the ride was downhill, we sailed past everyone and were the first back at Sports Basement. Tandems do excel at downhill, and we're not bad on the flats. But hills are another story.
After the ride, we came home, showered and headed to Barney's for turkey burgers and fries. Dinner is a glass of wine and some tums.
yum.

No comments: