Monday, November 24, 2008

Riding? Yes. Eating? Not so much.

Jerry and I rode the "Cat 1 Crawl" from Sports Basement and around Tiburon Loop on Saturday. It was a gorgeous day to ride. Sunny, a little cool, but lovely. I inadvertently left my Camelbak home so I used Jerry's back pocket as a water bottle holder. It worked just fine. After all this time we're a bit beyond Cat 1 (though not by much) so we finished before everyone else. A real first for us.

Especially because we have not been riding at our peak. I am having really hideous gastro issues. I was supposed to have some testing done today, so I haven't been able to take any heartburn/GERD medication for two weeks, so I've pretty much been in hell. I can't eat very much at one time without feeling like, or actually, tossing some of it. Lovely, eh?

So I was really looking forward to the testing, even though from all accounts having a tube stuck down your throat via your nose is not the most pleasant sensation, particularly when it stays there for 24 hours.

But, in any case, I got to UCSF nice and early for my appointment. And I sat for an hour. And then had the appointment rescheduled because the person who does the test was out sick. Which they knew earlier, but for some reason decided I should sit there so I could spend even more money on the parking lot. Yes, I was ticked off-- first, for having to sit there for an hour, and even more important, to spend another week off heartburn meds. Thanksgiving is going to be a real thrill...

But when I got home I did get busy in the kitchen. I'm really on a peppermint bark kick, and I made around 10 pounds today. Then I made sesame crackers, and finally, cranberry chutney. I couldn't find my tried and true recipe, so tried another one I found on Epicurious. It's got pears, cider vinegar and a few spices, including ginger. First taste I wasn't too thrilled, but I'll let the flavors blend overnight and give it another try tomorrow. If I still don't like it, I've got another package of cranberries, and I'll start over.

No comments: