Monday, November 10, 2008

Cheese and movies

I just spent several glorious days in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware at the Rehoboth Beach Film Festival. Several highlights of the festival include--
-- A Secret. A French film about a young boy who discovers his parents' past during the Holocaust.
-- The Secrets. An Israeli film about a young woman who, after her mother dies, goes to a Midrasha to study and learns much about herself and her family.
-- Captain Abu Raed. A very touching Jordanian film. Abu Raed is a man all of us would love to know. That might have been my favorite.
Of the eight films we saw, only one was a real dog. A Canadian film -- Continental: a film without guns. While watching,we were wishing they did have guns so they could have killed themselves and put us out of our misery. Yes, that bad.
And it was four days of drinking good wine and eating good cheese. My friends Bob and Dave had an amazing house-- their dream house they designed, with a wine cellar that David built. Every night, after the films, we'd go down and pick out a couple of bottles of wine. Lots of fun. We ate wonderful cheese with bread David had baked. For breakfast, he made croissants ad bagels.
I showed my friends videos and a slide show of last year's AIDS Ride, and Bob is expressing interest in doing the ride. I hopehe decides to do it. It's really an experience of a lifetime. He knows enough people who can afford to donate, so I hope he decides to do it.
And speaking of donations, when I get home from the East Coast, I'm going to start making peppermint bark. I plan to sell it to raise funds for ALC. I make fabulous peppermint bark with the very best white and dark chocolate. Know anyone interested? Send them my way!

1 comment:

Tom Mandel said...

Hi Carol -- it was great meeting you in the tent at the Festival on Sunday. Keep riding (and eating)!