Friday, March 27, 2009

Clavicles and Chinese food

Jerry has not been having such great luck lately. Just a few weeks ago he crashed his car, and yesterday, he crashed on one of his bikes. The first crash totaled the car. The bike crash did more of a number on him than the bike. He came home last night barely able to walk, battered and bruised. I put him to bed with ice packs and red wine.

He was not much better this morning so I got him in to see a doctor at UCSF. They did x-rays, and he broke a rib and worse, he broke his collarbone. It being Cesar Chavez Day, we could not get in to see an orthopedist, so we headed north. I bought him a sling to keep his arm and shoulder immobile, and then we had Chinese food. Lots of garlic, basil and spices. It was comforting, though neither of us could eat very much.

I'm not sure how much this will change our future, but it could make some significant changes. I am supposed to start a culinary program on Monday, and if I don't show up, I'll lose my seat and have to wait eight weeks. But depending upon how Jerry is, I may wait the eight weeks and stay with him.

The bigger if is how it will affect our training for AIDS Lifecycle. Right now he cannot ride at all, but we do wonder if in the near future he could ride as stoker on the tandem. That would mean me being captain, which scares me. But if it is a choice between not training together at all or being captain, I will at least give it a try.

My hope is we will get in to see an orthopedist on Monday or Tuesday and figure out what is going on. But to say this has thrown a wrench into our plans is definitively an understatement.

We are not a happy pair right now.

No comments: