Saturday, March 14, 2009

Only in Marin

would two tandem riders almost get run over by a Prius. Well, actually, one would hope that Prius drivers in Marin would be more politically correct than to go after cyclists.
Jerry and I were riding through Corte Madera on our way to Woodacre. We were on the side of the road, as we should be. We are very courteous, law abiding cyclists. We stop at stop signs; we stop for people in crosswalks; we always use hand signals and call out "on your left." Maybe this Prius driver didn't realize what nice people we were, but he veered inches away from us and laid on his horn. Jerry said if I had been thinking more quickly, I could have unclipped and put a gouge in his lovely hybrid with one of my cleats. But as I said before, I'm really very nice. But that did make me a little angry.
And so do cyclists who whizz through stops signs and red lights. Saw way too many of those today, though they were not people on the ALC training ride. But it gives us all a bad name.
The ride today was pretty nice. We did stop once on White's Hill, but then, I continue to remind myself, it's a ride, not a race. As usual, we screamed down the other side, passing all the cyclists who passed us on the way up.
We had a snack at the Woodacre Market, then headed back. We did stop at the bike shop to see if our broken hub was fixed. No such luck. We're going to have to do some digging to find a replacement hub, unless we want to spend $500 on a Phil Woods. Not this week.
After we got home and changed, we headed to Comfort Food Cafe. Jerry had a fried pork chop sandwich, which he pronounced "okay." He had garlic mashed potatoes as a side, and I tasted them. They were pretty good. I went the scrambled eggs, french fries and coffee route. I asked for the fries to be extra crisp, and they were. I ate more of them than I usually do and I'm feeling it now.
If the forecast is wrong and it doesn't rain tomorrow, we're heading out on a Cat 2 ride around China Camp and Tiburon Loop.
Besides a good day for riding, it was a good week for fundraising. I sent out emails to almost everyone I know. This year is tough, so it's going to have to be an ain't too proud to beg season. Don't know if a $5000 jersey is in my future, but I'd sure like to hit my minimum. People have been incredibly generous despite these hard times. But I've got to keep doing this. I hope in my lifetime we see a cure for AIDS and my friends live long, happy lives.

No comments: