Sunday, March 22, 2009

Riding and Coffee

I think Aeropress ought to give me a kickback. I praised them to Thanksgiving Coffee and they now sell them. I've also told numerous riders about the Aeropress, so my guess is I won't be the only one with an Aeropress on the ride this year.

And speaking of riding, we got in two days of riding-- Friday and Saturday. Friday was a ride out of the parking lot at Golden Gate Bridge to the Tiburon Loop. Jerry and I rode pretty strong and we felt great. Our average speed was Cat2-3 and we climbed Camino Alto faster than I think we've ever climbed it.

After the ride was the usual stop at Comfort Food Cafe where I of course, ordered coffee. But it actually tasted kind of funny. I don't think it was the coffee, but residue from the washing-- maybe a little detergent or even bleach.

Saturday's ride was not as strong as Friday's, which is to be expected. It was our first back to back in some time. Also, it was colder and we did not escape the rain.
This ride was to Lagunitas, which meant a climb over White's Hill. I'm proud to say that we didn't stop on White's Hill, which is another first for the season. But it was about time for us to take it in a single ride. But it was slow. We're not kids and it was our first back to back, so I'll cut us a little slack.
We got to the Lagunitas Market and I had some tabouli and Jerry had a cup of chili. I had also brought some butterscotch bars to share, mostly so I could get them out of the house and not eat them all myself. They were appreciated. I also had a cup of their really good French roast coffee. It definitely helped warm me up for the cold ride ahead.

It started to rain while we were there, but just a little sprinkle. We thought we better head out before a downpour--after all, we were 20 miles or so from our starting point.

But the rain was faster than we were and we were pretty cold and wet by the time we got back to the car. It was great to get home and peel off the wet bike clothes.

On another topic, but definitely related, I got a wonderful present this week. It was a photo of my friend, Jimmy, who died from AIDS several years ago. Serendipitously, his sister is a friend of a friend on Facebook, so I sent her a message. I wasn't really sure how she would react, but it was extremely positive. I am so happy to have his photo. Jerry and I will carry it with us on the ride. I've written about Jimmy before. His birthday was February 29, so the joke was he only had to have a birthday every four years. If he had had only had the opportunity to grow old.

I have lost other friends to AIDS, but no one as close as Jimmy. Even though we only spoke every couple of years, I still miss him. He will be in my thoughts every day on the ride this year.

1 comment:

Paul Katzeff said...

The Aeropress defies all that I have learned over the past 37 years as owner of Thanksgiving Coffee Company. It takes just 20 seconds of grinds in water(hot) to make one of the smoothest brews you have ever brewed. Even Folgers will be smooth. But when it comes to flavor, The Aeropress is very efficient. It will make great coffees better and poorer quality coffees worse. The process amplifies the flavors present , both good and bad. So I suggest you use this device only for fresh, high quality coffees .
A perfect first coffee for this device is one that has lots of personality like an Ethiopian Sidama "Natural" such as the Fair Trade/Organic one we offer in our web store. www.thanksgivingcoffee.com That coffee has nuances coming out of eery pore. Deep sweet/sour blueberry and strawberry flavors are drawn out of this coffee in a way that the French Press and other brewing methods can only do half as well at best.
This brewing method is simple and revolutionary as well as easy to clean.
Paul Katzeff
Founder, Thanksgiving Coffee Company