Monday, July 13, 2009

Confidence and Ice Cream

The How to Ride a Bike class I took from REI on Saturday did wonders for my confidence, if not my riding.

They started the class by taking the pedals off our bikes and lowering the seat. We duck walked around a loop at the Corte Madera DMV, then slalomed in and out of mini traffic cones. They took us around front and we coasted down a small incline and learned to slow our selves down feathering our brakes.

After I'm not sure how many times going down that incline, I was able to do it without touching the ground, propelling myself about halfway back up on the other side. I was ready for pedals.

The pedals went on and we made rode a small circuit; our seats still low and our concentration as steadfast as a neurosurgeon's. Finally, the seat was lifted in increments and I knew I was ready for the incline.

For the next-- oh I don't know-- maybe hour, I rode around the parking lot, gaining speed and confidence as I went. I felt great.

When Jerry got home from his ride to Lagunitas, I couldn't wait to share my excitement. We decided that on Sunday we'd ride around the neighborhood.

We crawled into bed fairly early and watched the film of the stage version of Rent. It was so wonderful, but trying not to cry too hard gave me a headache. That show will never cease to make me cry.

Sunday started with going out to brunch at Comfort Food Cafe and a trip to the Goodwill, where I got a Krups ice cream maker. I don't think it had ever been used. Thought it was a pretty good $9 investment. I made ice cream with it today and while it probably costs more to make ice cream at home, who cares! It was fun.

But back to yesterday. When we got home, Jerry and I took our bikes out for a little jaunt around the neighborhood. He said he could see a real difference in my skill and confidence. I didn't start out so slowly that I was in danger of falling over, and I kept up my speed. I even signaled for turns and for slowing down. I still have a ways to go, but at least now I feel that I'm on my way.

Yesterday was Jerry's birthday and we went to Katia's Russian Tea Room in the City. It was our first time there and I think we'll return. Jerry loved his pelmeni and my blini were very good. When the server heard it was Jerry's birthday my espresso was free and Jerry got poured another glass of wine. Needless to say, I drove home.

So right now, homemade vanilla ice cream is in the freezer getting firmer, and there is aged gouda I bought as a birthday treat for Jerry. That, and a bottle of Cabernet Franc is on the counter. I think I know what's for dinner.

No comments: