Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Week of Sausage and China Camp

I ate sausage three times this week. One chicken and two pork. That's three more times than I usually eat sausage in a month and about a gazillion more times than I ever eat pork of any kind.

What possessed me? Well, the sandwich special at Theresa and Johnny's Comfort Food Cafe sounded too good to pass up. Crumbled spicy sausage, a couple different kinds of greens, mushrooms, a smattering of good parmigiana on an Italian roll. The second time I ordered it I got smart and cut it in half and had the second part for dinner.

Does this mean my eating habits are changing? I don't think so, and I certainly hope not. I'm normally a chicken and fish-atarian. Other than skim milk in my cappuccino and some occasional feta in my salad I don't eat much in the way of dairy, and I'm heavy on the fruit and vegetables. And, oh yes, bread. If it were nutritionally sound I could live on good bread, olive oil and red wine. But it isn't so I don't.

But it was an odd week, I suppose. I made a really wonderful pasta sauce with crumbled chicken sausage, lots of onion and garlic, oregano, tomatoes, and a bit of red wine. Cooked it slow and easy for a good while and it was delicious.

Jerry had some leftover pasta with sauce for breakfast yesterday so he wouldn't bonk on our 45-mile ride that meandered around our neighborhood and out to Fairfax. A small group started at Mike's Bikes in Sausalito. We rode through San Rafael, around China Camp and then out to Fairfax and back. We were both in not great moods (so what else is new?) and the ride made us feel much better. A little of the strength I had seen waning last week returned yesterday. We're still dragging up hills, but we are starting really fly on the flats, and, of course, on the downhills. As I've thought before, the only thing that's going to help us on climbs in losing weight. And eating sausage isn't going to do much for that.

But yesterday, I didn't really overeat, though I'm not sure what is is they put on movie-theater popcorn, even with no butter added. Why does it taste so good? I'm sure it's full of some sort of hideous artificial flavoring full of calories and carcinogens. And it's what I had for dinner.

With our friends Sha and Lora, we saw (500) Days of Summer last night. It was my kind of movie, quirky, sweet, with a bit of an edge. Not a profound movie, but fun and not entirely predictable, though perhaps partially so. But that's not altogether bad.

After the movie we went to Aroma cafe and I had a ginger biscotti (or would that be biscotto?) and yet another cappuccino.

Today, maybe a little ride on our singles and more coffee and the Sunday Times crossword puzzle.

No comments: