Sunday, July 19, 2009

Tough riding; Too Much Eating

Though the scale hasn't changed, I am feeling really blobby lately. Could it be all those fresh blueberries. Probably not, but it could be the homemade ice cream beneath those fresh blueberries. And that tuna melt I needed after having a really crummy day.

By and large, I eat a very healthy diet, but of late I know I have been eating a bit too much of those healthy foods. Life, and the stuff that goes with it, has not been all that cheery, so to make up for that, I seek comfort in comfort foods. I haven't gotten out the blow torch to make the top of macaroni and cheese crisp yet, but believe me, I've been thinking about it. I haven't said no to fries at lunch, though I split the order with Jerry and we always have fruit at Comfort Food Cafe. But we've been eating too much cheese and I haven't resisted the tortilla chips (albeit with no salt) at Trader Joe's.

Something's got to change. We rode out of the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge yesterday and headed up to Woodacre Market, just the other side of White's Hill. The ride there was not too bad, though I was far more short of breath than I can remember being in a long time. I blame part of that on "that damn trike." (Its official name.) I never got winded on the trike because I didn't use my whole body to ride. Just my legs, pumping and pumping and pumping. Back on the upright, I'm getting a much better workout, which is great, but I'm feeling it.

And Jerry and I were both feeling it on the way back to the bridge. Though I felt as if I had eaten enough, I really felt like I was bonking at a couple of points. I also ran out of water, which didn't help, though I did still have some Nuun solution in my bottle. I ate some dried fruit and nuts and we kept going. But neither of us was our perky selves. I partially blamed it for not having done a real ride in two weeks. But there's more to it. Other than cycling once a week, I'm doing not much more than sitting at a computer all week. The little jaunts around the neighborhood on a half bike don't count.

So time for a change. I love my new ice cream maker and I love ice cream, so I'm going to look for recipes that are lower in fat and calories. And on warm days I'm going to hit the pool. I'm not much of a swimmer, but it's something. And gotta work that core.

I'll start baking with more chocolate and giving it away as well. I love to bake too much to give it up.

No comments: