Friday, April 3, 2009

Elevators, Steps and Subways

This morning was Jerry's surgery on his clavicle. He slept much better than I did last night. I think that's because I've had more surgeries so I was more nervous.

We got to UCSF and parked in the public garage-- a massive structure that's expensive and gets filled way too quickly. We then took the elevator up and then had to go down a flight of stairs to the ambulatory surgery suite. The orthopods who do joint replacement are down there too. It strikes me as just a tad ironic that it is difficult to get to that floor by elevator. You can do it, but it's difficult.

I stayed with Jerry the two hours until they took him to the OR. I figured I had some time so I went and gave blood. I'm happy to say my iron was high enough-- it isn't always-- and giving the unit was a breeze.

Then I visited with Eleanor, another AIDS Lifecyclist who works at UCSF. Her grandmother recently died and we had a wonderful talk about her grandmother, her spirit, and all that Eleanor has learned from her.

Afterwards, I wasn't hungry, but I was a little light-headed so I thought I'd better get something to eat. UCSF has several choices besides the hospital cafeteria. In Millberry Union, there is a food court with pizza, Chinese, Mexican and something else. There is also an overpriced go through a line and get a pannini restaurant as well.

So what did I choose? I went to the basement to Subway and got a chicken breast sub. I had the server put lettuce, tomato, onion, pepperoncini and salt and pepper on it. I got the foot long, but ate half. It was really good. Maybe I'm lowbrow, but I like the Subway chicken subs. They are simple, unpretentious food. And inexpensive.

I then went back and waited for Jerry to come out of anesthesia. The surgery went very well and Jerry should have a good recovery.

When we got home, I heated up some leftover spaghetti for Jerry and I ate the second half of my sub.

Life, for now, is okay.

No comments: