Thursday, April 9, 2009

Three wheels and 11 feet

We did it. In one week, Jerry and I will take delivery on a Greenspeed Tandem Trike. It is 11 feet long and probably weighs as much as we do. But it is the only way we can do the AIDS ride, so that's that. Initially, we will put it on a wind trainer and pedal in our family room. Once Jerry is deemed road ready, we'll take it out. It's exciting and scary. But mostly exciting.

Jerry has been in considerable discomfort but at least most of his pain has subsided. I took him to his office today, and he is working away on a few things, including a neon sign from the Comfort Food Cafe that is on the blink, literally. It's blinking and Jerry can probably fix it.

Leslie, the owner of the cafe is going to lend me large pots for the Jon Pon ride. What a relief that I don't have to buy one. The manager at the ranch where the event is sent me a nasty email about not using any of their stuff, so I won't. Thank goodness I have a friend who owns a well-equipped restaurant.

Not much cooking or baking lately. I think Jerry and I have both been kind of down. We were initially worried we wouldn't be able to do the AIDS ride, now we're worried that it's going to be incredibly difficult. But we will do what we can.

Fundraising has been particularly hard this year. There was an article in today's New York Times that everyone, including those who have jobs, are afraid to spend. I think that's what's happening to me. Most of my friends are still employed, but they don't seem to be coming through with donations. It's the ones, though, you least expect, who do come through. I have a friend who is grossly underemployed, but he made a donation of $10. It meant so much.

No comments: